- Download our Guide to the Newly Initiated
- The Online Guide to Programming is now available online
- The Schedule Grid is now available online
- The Program Book (PDF) is now available for download
- The Pocket Program Guide (PDF) is now available for download
The Tropics is a band around the globe from 23 degrees north to 23 degrees south. This region includes 40% of the worlds population and is underrepresented in Science Fiction and Fantasy. These areas will also be disproportionately affected by global warming. For example, entire island nations like the Maldives and Tuvalu are in danger of being wiped out by rising sea levels.
The word tropics evokes sun drenched beaches, bustling marketplaces, and lush rain forests. The tropics can be a setting for escape and exploration, or for colonialism and dystopia. Will the future of the region be filled with glittering cities, or a wasteland ravaged by climate change? What does it mean for a Science Fiction and Fantasy setting to be tropical? Come with us as we explore the nexus between geography and culture for science fiction and fantasy settings.