Capricon is a membership-only event, hosted by Phandemonium. All members must wear their membership badges at all times. A badge is valid only for the person to whom it was issued; badges may not be shared under any circumstances. Capricon requires that any children 12 or older have a purchased membership for the convention.
General Rating of the Convention
All convention areas are open to members of all ages, with the exception of events or exhibits that are specifically noted to be inappropriate for minors and access to which is controlled.
Please follow any and all rules set by the convention Hotel. Phandemonium asks that you pay special attention to the following:
Any act of vandalism, deliberate or excessive damage to hotel property, or interference with hotel staff in the performance of their duties will have negative consequences for individuals and the convention. Consequences for individuals could range from being billed for damages, evicted from the hotel and/or convention, and criminal charges. These types of inci- dents can also harm the relationship Phandemonium has with the hotel, resulting in monetary losses or cancellation of our contract.
The person in whose name a sleeping room is rented is solely respon- sible for the conduct of all individuals in the room as well as for the condition of the room. Excessive trash, soiling or other damage to hotel property, or any circumstance that may present a hazard to hotel house- keeping staff will also result in negative consequences as noted above.
Illinois has an indoor clean air ordinance; this is beyond the control of Phandemonium and the hotel. Smoking is not allowed in any public buildings, including restaurants and bars, nor within 15 feet of building entrances. Designated smoking locations can be found outside the entrances to the hotel. The hotel does not allow smoking in sleeping rooms.
NOTE: Members who smoke in sleeping rooms are subject to cleaning charges.
The hotel does not allow pets in function space. This is for the protection of the pet, the pet owner, our members, and hotel guests. Service animals are permitted in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Signs may be posted only in designated areas. Any signs posted in designated areas must be affixed using “blue painter’s tape” ONLY. Do not affix anything to the walls of the hotel, to the elevators, to the windows, or to Capricon signage.
Non-convention guests/General Public:
Please remember that the convention is held in an area where we will come into contact with non-fans. Please try and be respectful of the hotel’s other guests and use common sense, especially in the public areas of the hotel.
- No actual weapon or any item that can be mistaken for one may be carried either openly or concealed at any time on properties being used for Capricon, regardless of any government permits which you may possess, unless it has been peace bonded by Operations. If you wish to carry such a weapon, it must be presented to Operations. Operations staff is the final arbiter of what weapons require peace bonding. In some instances particular weapons may be prohibited as appropriate. If you are unsure about whether your weapon may be considered realistic, Operations staff will be happy to check it for you.
- Any actual weapon or any item that can be mistaken for one that is purchased in the dealer room must be wrapped and immediately transported to your room or vehicle. If you wish to use the item at the convention, please refer to section 1 of this policy.
- If an actual weapon or any item that can be mistaken for one is part of your masquerade costume, you must transport it to and from the masquerade green room wrapped securely unless peace bonded. The masquerade director must approve your use of any weapons during the masquerade.
- Live steel is prohibited. Operations is the final arbiter of what constitutes live steel.
- Any weapon, actual, realistic, or toy/prop, that is utilized in a threatening or harmful manner may result in confiscation of the item and/or removal of your membership without refund.
- Failure to adhere to any of the above policies is grounds for the removal of your membership without refund.
- We are a private and voluntary membership-based organization. As a condition of membership, no member shall carry concealed firearms at our event. Any open carry is subject to the above noted weapons policies.
Common Sense Footnote: Party floors are crowded; we encourage you to leave your weapons/props in your Room or vehicle.
Only certain convention hotel rooms are available for hospitality suites, and all hospitality events / parties must be coordinated with the Capricon Party Liaison and occur in these designated spaces.
The legal drinking age in Illinois is 21. Hosts of registered hospitality events are required to card anyone who wishes to drink at their event. Capricon does not allow alcohol consumption in convention function space. Please follow the hotel policies on alcohol consumption / transportation in hotel public spaces, such as the lobby.
Privacy, Photographs, and Recording Electronic Information
The usage of photographic or recording devices is prohibited with-in certain areas of the convention, including the Film Room, Anime Room, Art Show, and Art Auction. Where allowed, we suggest that photographs be taken before or after a program event to avoid distracting panelists and audience members from the discussion.
Sales of Merchandise
The offering for sale of any merchandise at the convention may be undertaken only in designated spaces with permission from the convention.
*Thank you to Anthrocon for sharing portions of their Code of Conduct.
Phandemonium Code of Conduct
Phandemonium is the parent corporation that puts on Capricon. If you have a membership for this year’s Capricon, then you are a member of Phandemonium. As a member of Phandemonium, you are expected to follow the Phandemonium Code of Conduct for the duration of the event, including any informal pre- or post-event activities. This is in addition to the Capricon Code of Conduct above.
You can read the Codes of Conduct for members of Phandemonium at http://capricon.org/mobile/Phandemonium_Code_of_Conduct.pdf